Sunday 17 February 2019

Weekend Cooking - Ottolenghi

One child has flown the coop (to uni) and the other is planning on moving out in the next few months. Mr Seasons and I will soon be empty nesters. A stage we've been looking forward to for years, but already, we're finding it more of a bittersweet experience. One of the good points though is having some space in our lives (and our home) and not having to cater for the very basic eating habits of the youngest any longer (he took his pizza tray with him to uni, which I suspect he will eat from morning, noon and night!)

Part of my post-children-living-at-home plan is to cook more interesting food. Food with spice and zing and taste!

I have a slew of Ottolenghi cookbooks that I have only ever prepared a few meals from in total. A very sad state of affairs! I'm hoping to change that this year.

My book club's summer picnic night gave me my first opportunity this week. I was working and only had an hour to whip something up that had to be 'shareable' and of the finger food variety.

Simple by Ottolenghi was the obvious choice for this. This cook book categorises each recipe into 6 main areas:

S – short on time: less than 30 minutes
I – 10 ingredients or less
M – make ahead
P – pantry
L – lazy
E – easier than you think


I wanted something light and summery with a little bit of zing!
Beef Carpaccio with Spring Onion & Ginger Salsa (pg 29) was the choice. It was categorised as:
S - short on time
I - 10 ingredients or less
M - make ahead

Because I only decided in the morning over breakfast, which recipe I was going to use, the make ahead part didn't apply this time around, but I now have some leftover spring onion & ginger salsa in the fridge for more zingy tomato snacks this week.


It was super easy to make. The longest part was crushing the ginger into a paste in my mortar and pestle, but I love any excuse to use my mortar and pestle, so it's never a chore.

I also love it when your finished dish looks exactly like the one in the book!


I served it with some Greek cream cheese and ciabatta. It was delicious and a big hit at the picnic.


Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking meme is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book reviews (novel, nonfiction), cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs, restaurant reviews, travel information, or fun food facts. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to link up anytime over the weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Ottolenghi's recipes seem to combine deep flavor with simple preparations. This looks wonderful, though we have only winter tomatoes grown far far from us at the moment.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit cheeky of me to gloat about our lovely summer tomatoes when most of you are still in the depths of winter...but what I could do :-D

      Delete
  2. Okay, now I can't wait for summer! I need summer tomatoes RIGHT NOW! LOL. I love the categories of the recipes too. I need L and E. I have a couple of his cookbooks but not this one. I hope my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library has it, but there's a 12-WEEK wait list for the digital edition. I may have to buy.

      Delete
    2. It has been hugely popular at work as well. I think every second person in my suburb got a copy for Christmas, judging by our sales!!

      Good luck tracking a copy down.

      Delete
  3. Now on order from the library. Thanks. Cheers from Carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had good experience with Ottolenghi in the past. This book looks good as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my colleagues has cooked about 10 recipes from Simple so far - and they have been huge successes, according to her housemate!

      Delete
  5. I need some cooking inspiration....winter is not over yet!
    Your creation looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.