Saturday 15 September 2018

2018 Archibald Prize Exhibition

I haven't visited the Art Gallery since The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries earlier in the year.
And I only just managed to fit in a visit to this year's Archibald Prize for Portrait Painting.
It finished last week.

Arriving at the Art Gallery of NSW always feels like an event in itself.
It's such a beautiful, grand structure, especially on a lovely Spring morning.


I felt rather underwhelmed by many of this year's entrants, so I only have a few pics to share this year of my favourites.

Nicholas Harding - self portrait - Treatment, day 49 (sorbolene soak)


Julian Meagher - portrait of Richard Flanagan - Herb and Flan


James Powditch - self portrait - Narcissist, the anatomy of melancholy


Kathrin Longhurst - portrait of her daughter, Maia - Self: past, present and future


Paul Jackson - Alison Whyte, a mother of the renaissance


Anne Middleton - Guy


The exhibition also includes the Wynne Prize for Landscape Painting.

Yalanba Wanambi - Trial Bay (detail)


Sylvia Ken - Kungkarangkalpa tjukurpa (Seven Sisters story)


John Olsen - The Tree of Life


Wawiriya Burton - Ngayuku ngura (my country)


Nellie Coulthard - Tjuntala ngurangka (country with acacia wattle)


Robert Malherbe - Arcadia Road, Blackheath


This post is part of Saturday Snapshot.

6 comments:

  1. I love to see exhibits. I’m sorry you were a little disappointed. I thank you for sharing those works you did like.

    I especially like your photo out front. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a truly beautiful building Deb. The bricks have such a lovely warm glow to them on a sunny day.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! Isn't it great that we can photograph art (no flash though)?! Thank you for sharing your "snapshots".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to photograph exhibitions. I see so many, it's easy to forget them. This way helps me remember them and the blog helps me to have somewhere to track them and share them as well :-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a beautiful day for an outing. Thank you for sharing photos of the artwork. Looks like there was quite a bit of variety.
    My Saturday Snapshot post features magnificent views of Mount St. Helens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the ones you have picked to show are really good, portraits and landscapes. A shame you are not a judge.

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.