Saturday 20 February 2016

Sydney's Northern Beaches

The only comment my Top 10 Sydney guidebook has for this area of Sydney is,

"Northern Beaches: this stretch of stunning ocean beaches runs from Manly to Barrenjoey Head."

I visited some of these beaches last month from north to south.
I started at Palm Beach (see last week's post) and kept going until the blustery summer weather got too much for me.

Many of these beaches have rock baths, including Whale Beach below.

To the left is Little Head and to the south is Dolphin Bay & Careel Head.

Whale Beach

Avalon also has rock baths on it's southern end.
Hole in the Wall is on the left and Bilgola Head to the right.

Avalon Beach

View looking north from Bilgola Head.
Avalon Beach, Bangaley Head and Barrenjoey Headland.

Bilgola Head Lookout

Looking south to Bilgola Beach, Newport and Bungan Head.

Bilgola Head Lookout

The blustery weather was bringing in lots of seaweed by the time I got to Bilgola Beach.

Bilgola Beach and Rock Baths

The Rock Baths at the southern end of Newport Beach were a favourite subject for well-known photographer Max Dupain in the 1930's.

Newport Beach

There are many more northern beaches between Newport and Manly... but that's enough skiting about our beautiful wide sandy beaches for now!

This post is part of Saturday Snapshot.

3 comments:

  1. Not living near the ocean or even a lake shore, these type of photos always make me happy. I am a Pisces, so maybe that is why I love the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of looking at, or walking on, beaches. Our nearest beach is a two hour drive, but it is worth it. But I haven't gone in such a long time. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what gorgeous beaches! I especially like your panoramic shots - really beautiful!

    Hope you had a good weekend -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.