Thursday 18 April 2013

I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson Part 1

I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson has had a lot of press and word-of-mouth buzz this past month or so.

Out of curiosity I finally took some time to go through the book.

I have spent a lot of time over the years reading up on food and health related issues.

When I was teaching, I constantly got sick. I expended a lot of time and energy looking at my eating, hygiene and exercise habits to try and boost my immune system and stay healthy.

Turns out the best thing for my health, in the end, was to retire from teaching completely!

But my interest in eating well, being healthy and creating a positive & sustainable food environment has stayed with me.

The Slow Food movement in particular caught my attention. I try to eat seasonally, buy fresh organic produce where possible and the rest of the time, I read labels carefully and look for products with the minimum amount of ingredients in them. I also try to avoid products with ingredients that are numbers or include a 5 syllable scientific word! If sugar or salt is listed as one of the first two or three ingredients I also leave it on the shelf (chocolate is the exception to this rule of course!)

My latest thing (post Bali) is to make my own granola and spiced yoghurt for breakfast.
I enjoyed the most amazing homemade granola and spiced yoghurt for breakfast every day that I was in Bali.

Sarah has a great granola recipe on pg 76 that I now use as a basis for my own recipe (I also have added wheat flakes, quinoa flakes and barley flakes and I use maple syrup.)

I'm still experimenting with ingredients and quantities, but it has been a HUGE success. Even my husband is being converted.

The spiced yoghurt includes crushed cardamom seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise and honey. Over winter I will try to add a little ginger as well.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I bought IQS a few weeks ago after I'd read Sweet Poison last month. I've read it too, but haven't made anything from it yet (I've been on a weight loss diet that is working, and I'm not trying to fix anything that isn't broken just now). I enjoy making my own muesli from time to time, but I do only get to eat 25 gm a day at the moment, so haven't rushed at this. There were a number of delicious looking recipes that I'd like to try. I don't know that I'll ever go so far as quitting sugar, I am only human after all, and enjoy it like everyone else, but I enjoy trying new things and am not afraid of quite different approaches to food. I'll look forward to enjoying that muesli (I can't get to calling it granola) sometime soon. The spiced yoghurt sounds nice too.

    ReplyDelete

I know that blogger comments can be a pain, but I do love to hear from you. Please log onto a google account to make it as easy as possible.

All spam & anonymous comments will be deleted and comment moderation is in place for most posts.